Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm baaaack



Wow, has it been that long since I last posted? I know I said I'd be back on the 11th, but things have been so busy!! My big news for this week is that I finally got some chicks. Yea! Finally...
I kept them in the coop for a couple of days, then decided it was time to let them out into their run. They immediately found an escape route through the chain-link fence. One had to be caught, the other three squeezed back through. I put them back in the coop while I covered the fence with chicken wire.
Okay, so now it's time to let them out again. I was out there with them for about 5 minutes, when from out of nowhere a hawk comes swooping down, talons at the ready to carry off my little babies! Thanks goodness I was right there and was able to scare it off before it grabbed one. The Large Child, who was inside the house at the time, heard me yelling, as did the other Tall One and my DH, who were in the driveway. They all thought the dog had gotten in the coop. Out came the bird netting, and I'm proud to report that all 8 are now safe and secure. (I'm surprised they all didn't drop dead from fright right then and there!!) Here are a couple of pics...

No comments: